John Zanieski on the ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame.

Discussions on Ivy League topics that affect all men's and women's sports, football, basketball, hockey, lacrosse, baseball, softball, wrestling....
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bulldog10jw

John Zanieski on the ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame.

Postby bulldog10jw » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:32 am

My lasting memory of Zanieski. Yale-Penn 1984. Close game. Zanieski sacks the QB late in the game. The ref calls a roughing or face mask penalty, I forget which, and throws the flag right at John. He picks up the flag and throws it back at the ref.

They add unsportsmanlike and march off 30 yards. Penn goes in for the clinching score. Maybe not the smartest thing, but it WAS funny.

Son of Eli

Re: John Zanieski on the ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame.

Postby Son of Eli » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:23 pm

I recently watched replays of the 1984 Yale-Dartmouth and 1984 Yale-Harvard games on YouTube and I was really impressed with his skill. I was also shocked to hear he played DE at 205 lbs. He could never play that position in the Ivy League today at that weight.

bulldog10jw

Re: John Zanieski on the ballot for the College Football Hall of Fame.

Postby bulldog10jw » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:55 am

Saw a replay. Wasn't exactly as I recalled. It was a "late" hit on a Penn reception. They did walk off 30 yards, though.

I guess memories fade a little after 32 years.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Ivy League Conference Forum”